Sunday, February 3, 2013

Know Me Better: meeting authors, movies, family, snacks

Know Me Better is a weekly meme hosted by Kathy from I Am A Reader Not A Writer to learn new things about your fellow-bloggers. Each week, she chooses 5 questions from her author interview list that the participants then answer.


This week's questions are:

Is there anything you would like to say to or ask your favorite author?
Are you a dreamer or a realist?
Theater or Rental?
Share a family tradition.
Favorite late night snack?


Is there anything you would like to say to or ask your favorite author?
Oh God. I'm not even sure who that would be! I have so many of them ^^' I would probably just stand there and either stammer or gape like a fish or blurt something really stupid. I just feel like everything I could say has already been said. Things like 'your book really helped me / touched me / made feel / made me cry / made me re-think my life'... they must hear it all the time. I would want to find better words to express what I mean, but I don't think I could just come up with them on the spot. I'm not even sure they exist.
As for asking them things... I wouldn't want to know where their inspiration comes from. I would probably have more craft-related questions, or ask for advice they could give, or ask them what they do about fear and discouragement when they strike. I don't really know. I'd hope that a conversation just... develops.

Are you a dreamer or a realist?
I think I used to be a dreamer, but now I think I'm becoming too much of a realist. Though not completely. But I'm veering in that direction, and it scares me a bit. I think I should take more risks. But I guess that what growing up does to you...

Theater or Rental?
Um, are we talking movies? *oblivious non-American person*
I never rent DVDs, it's super expensive if you want to keep them for more than a day. I usually buy them a while after they came out, when they're cheaper.
I love movie theaters! I love how it's all big and quiet and the sound and image quality are amazing! I'm also one of those strange people who like the break in the middle. Helps me digest what I saw if I can get up and go buy another coke and start discussing the movie with whoever went with me. I also find it hard to ever sit through a movie from beginning to end without at least one break. But I'm not sure you do breaks in America? I've heard something like that, anyway.

Share a family tradition
Um... *thinks really hard*
The only thing I can come up with is Christmas stuff. On the 24th, we always have dinner at our place with my mum's side of the family: her brother & his wife & my two older cousins. And well, my grandparents when they were still alive... It's always really fun! We usually get talking and forget all about the presents until it's suddenly 11 pm. We've been doing this for about 20 years.
On the 25th, it's dinner (lately it's become brunch) with my dad's side of the family, which means a lot more people. 6 cousins! Also all older. One of them has 2 kids of his own already. Plus my dad's two brothers, my grandfather, and sometimes a few of the people who work on their farm. And my cousin's boyfriends/girlfriends. It's also always a lot of fun and we all like to play card- and boardgames. With presents we always do a secret santa kind of thing. Everyone draws a name and only gives that one person a present, and only receives one present of their own. Makes it easier for everyone :)
So yeah, Christmas to me is completely family-related and for catching up. Never been to church on Christmas Eve.

Favorite late night snack?
I have strange eating habits anyway... and what's your definition of late night? ^^' Anyhow, it'd probably be some fruit, or maybe some of the sugarfree candy I sometimes buy, if I haven't eaten it all by that time. Plus of course lots of coffee and coke zero. Or maybe some type of cereal, if I have any. I avoid buying it because I usually binge-eat the whole box in like two days >.<


*ahem* I might have over-shared a little here ^^'' Any reactions on your part? Things that surprise you, things you would do differently? If you're participating in the meme too, leave me a link :)

Here is the linky with the other participants:
 

5 comments:

  1. I wish I could drink diet Coke at night but the caffeine keeps me up. Have a great weekend! I'm following your blog http://georgielee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I ever came in contact with one of my favorite authors I would probably do same: gape and stammer and try to tell them how amazing they are and how much I love their books without sounding like a starstruck idiot. haha

    Kelly @ Dandelion Dreams
    New Follower

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't buy Lucky Charms anymore because I could seriously eat the whole box. They are THAT good!
    Here's My KMB

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so we can get to know each other, I don't think you can 'over-share', the more you say, the more we know about you.
    I'm starting to see that I don't really think things as if they were happening right now. The first question, I know that would happen with me too, but I thought of the question "in a perfect world, what would I ask him?" Assuming I would be confident enough and not freaking out because I was meeting them.
    Like last time, if you could take over the world, would you? I kept reading answers people saying it was hard and they had a lot of things going on and they wouldn't want to, I assumed if everything was perfect and assuming I could do it, yeah I would.
    That may be why I'm a dreamer, I don't think about them in reality, I see them in a perfect world, then I answer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carmen how did you do the slideshow for your favourite blogs in your sidebar? I cannot seem to find any instructions online in how to do those :(

    I love the Kris Kringle Tradition, I find it so cost effective and just as good.

    My Know Me Better post.

    Angelica @ Paperback Princess

    ReplyDelete