Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: most memorable secondary characters

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Every week they post a new topic that the participants come up with a top ten list for.


This week is all about the favorite secondary characters we can't get out of our heads

I love secondary characters. Sometimes, they actually appeal to me more than the main ones. However, trying to come up with a top ten made me realize that sometimes it's actually quite hard to determine whether someone is a secondary character or part of the 'main character crew'. Because let's face it, there is usually more than just one main character, it's just that one of them is often the narrator.

Anyway, here are - in no particular order - some of my favorites

Glenraven_27's top ten secondary characters album on Photobucket


Jenks - The Hollows series, by Kim Harrison
Jenks is a pixy with a temper and one of the foulest (and funniest) mouths you can imagine. Also, he's got a wife and over 50 children populating Rachel's back garden! As her pixy sidekick, he's ace at disabling security so Rachel can do some reconnoitering. And he's also simply a good and loyal friend.

Uncle Mort - Croak series, by Gina Damico
He's a Grim reaper and the first one to keep Lex's temper in check. Also, he's got the craziest hair, a motorcycle, and a really cool house. He's also not averse to bending laws if he sees it fit. The kind of guy you want at your side when the shit hits the fan.

Magnus Bane - The Mortal Instruments / The Infernal Devices, by Cassandra Claire
High Warlock of Brooklyn. Throws the best parties and has an extravagant fashion sense. Always getting involved in Shadowhunter business despite himself. I love his relationship to Alec (there should be more LGBT couples/characters in YA) and I think it's fascinating that he's in both series and in a way helps tying the stories together.

Sabine - Soul Screamers series, by Rachel Vincent
She's one of those cases where I'm unsure whether she'd count as a main character. At first, I hated her. But she and her blunt but honest statements really won me over. Even if she was hard on Kaylee, there was usually some truth to what she was saying. Best frenemies, I guess, but seriously - Sabine gets some of the best lines! Also, the girl is literally a Nightmare and feeds on fear. Not something you come across very often in YA.

Will - Masque of the Red Death, by Bethany Griffin
Again, is Will a main character? I can't decide. But I've always preferred him to Elliott. He's devoted to his siblings above all else, he's kind, and well... he's the type of guy I find attractive ^^' Dark, quiet, handsome, tattooed... with just a hint of danger.

Dani O'Malley - Fever series, by Karen Marie Moning
Dani's just badass. The youngest of the Sidhe-seers and the one with the highest fae bodycount. She's got superspeed, she's fierce, and she's still got that swagger that comes from feeling young and invincible. And still there are these moments when you realize that she's seen and had to deal with things that should be well beyond the scope of a 14-year-old. I really need to read Iced, the spin-off series that focuses on her.

Vlad - Night Huntress series, by Jeaniene Frost
Vlad's also got his own spin-off books but I haven't read  them yet. He's the Vlad Tepes. Dracula. Only without the cape. Instead, he can let other vamps go up in flames. Also, he's a snarky, kinda cynical anti-hero and he loves to piss Bones off. In short, he makes me laugh and he's protective of Cat, so I like him.

Adrian Ivashkov - Vampire Academy series, by Richelle Mead
Is he a secondary character? I think so, at least in the first couple of books. I'll be honest, it took me a while to grow to like him, partly due to the fact that he's constantly drunk in the beginning. However, I felt so sorry for him at the end of VA and I'm very glad he's in a way getting a 'second chance' in Bloodlines. He's a combination of genius, madness, and self-deprecation-masked-by-cockyness I find fascinating. There's a lot more to him than you'd expect at first.

Ziri - Days of Blood and Starlight, by Laini Taylor
Oh Ziri. How I cried for you in DoBaS. I hoped for your happy ending against hope, and of course my hopes were dashed. For now. But I love how Laini Taylor expanded his role in this sequel! I can't say more without spoilers but let's just say Ziri has a special place in my heart.

Barron Sharpe - Curse Workers trilogy, by Holly Black
I'll be honest: I don't like Barron. I feel kind of sorry for him... sometimes. But he's fascinating, and that's more important to me in a character than that they're likeable. He can erase or alter other people's memories, but there's a backlash against himself and he erodes his own memory, taking with it parts of his personality. If he didn't write it down, he wouldn't remember who he was. There's something tragic in that, as well as something pathetic and nefarious.

So that's my top ten! A close runner-up was Jackal from Julie Kagawa's The Eternity Cure because of his sarcastic remarks and reluctant change/development of character. I love how he pushes Allies buttons.
What do you think of my top ten? Do we share any picks? And what did you come up with? I'd love to get to know some new books/series I might like based on the secondary characters in them :)

10 comments:

  1. Adrian and Magnus - two of my top favorites.

    Marilyn @ Marilyn's Mystery Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY for Jenks! And I love both Adrian, Vlad and Magnus as well. However, since I have rad both Vlad's spin-off series and the VA spin-off series, I can't see Adrian and Vlad completely as side-characters anymore. But they are awesome.

    I did consider Sabine, but I ended up choosing someone else instead.

    Thanks for stopping by earlier, Carmen :) Have a terrific Tuesday and a great week.

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Magnus! I absolutely love Magnus! Such an awesome character. Great list!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who doesnt love Magnus!! Great list :)

    Amanda @ i solemnly swear

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally blinked on Magnus! :D Lame.
    I didn't really like Adrian in VA too much but I ADORE him in Bloodlines. :)
    Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only one here I've read is the Cassandra Clare series, but I did think Magnus Bane was one of the best characters -- great choice!

    Lisa
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! I love that you included Dani, Magnus, and Vlad! That makes me so happy! And of course excellent choices on Adrian and Sabine!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wooooo, Ziri & Dani = ♥ ♥ SO much love for those characters! I still need to read Iced too though, it keeps tempting me every time I walk by my bookcase >.< Magnus I also agree with, he's like my favorite character in the TMI series~ You're the second blogger to spotlight Jenks in their TTT and since I have book 1 in the Hallows series, it's making me all kinds of excited, cause he sounds amazing :D Oh and I still *NEED* to read the Soul Screamer series, the Night Huntress books and the VA series...I do own book 1 in those last two series there, so hopefully soon! Loved this TTT^^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Honestly, I haven't read most of these. But if I were going to pick a favorite secondary character from DoSaB, it would be Zuzana. I just love her to pieces. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ziri! I got so distracted by my love for Zuzana that I forgot about him D:

    ReplyDelete